Hi everyone! I hope you are having a great week, looking forward to the weekend. Autumn is in full swing here, so I wanted to create a mixed media tag tutorial to help kick start my brain into thinking about cooler days and forget these past few "Dog Days of Summer".
I found a hymnal page in my scraps that had the title "This is My Father's World" and part of the song said "nature sings" & "morning light" so I used this as inspiration for my tag.
I had used this hymnal page in another project so pieces of it were missing. I was careful to reserve back the pieces that I wanted to focus on and used the rest of the scraps to line the base of the tag. To give my cut outs more stability I backed them on scraps of watercolor paper.
When I think of nature singing at Morning light I always think of birds. So I knew I wanted to incorporate a bird. I used the Prima Shabby Chic Resin birds. I have a window in my bedroom, and a little bird is ALWAYS in the window singing. So I thought about using another Prima Resin piece in the shape of a window. Since both were really too bright white, I decided to paint them with my Lindy's Stamp Gang. You can see in the video below how I did this.
I also wanted to keep with the texture and colors of fall. So I used the Burlap stencil from Tim Holtz, and some white Crackle Texture Paste from Prima, along with Gelatos® in fall colors of Yellow, Orange and Red to create the background. A little Lindy's Ponderosa Pine Olive Magicals was added to finish off the crackled and rich tones of fall. To add a bit of sparkle, I used some Mica Flakes from Prima. They offered just the right touch of reflective light to my base.
I decided to build my floral spray like a bird's nest. I kept the flowers somewhat neutral (like the twigs in a nest) by spraying them with the Lindy's in several different colors. To give them a pop of orange I finished them off with a little of the Copper Magicals found in the Lindy's Autumn collection.
Here is a video tutorial showing how I completed the tag from start to finish.
I love how vibrant this tag is and it really sparkles! Fall is my favorite time of year. Everything is so rich with pops of color and texture.
Thanks for stopping in today,
- Tim Holtz - Stencil - Burlap
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gelatos® - Banana
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gelatos® - Red Cherry
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gelatos® - Tangerine
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pen - Black #199
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gesso
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gel Medium
- Prima Flowers - Rodanthe - Seaboard
- Prima Marketing - Finnabair - Mica Flakes
- Lindy's Stamp Gang - Magicals - Autumn Leaves - Ponderosa Pine Green & Cattail Copper Brown
- Lindy's Stamp Gang - Starburst Sprays - Limor Webber Designs - Industrial Chic
- Lindy's Stamp Gang - Flat Fabios - Limor Webber Designs - Tres Chic - bonjour butter
- Ranger - Non-Stick Craft Mat
- Lindy's Stamp Gang - Moon Shadow Spray - Crow's Nest Copper
- Versa Ink Pen
- Ranger Ink - Gold embossing powder
- Seam Binding
- Prima Resin Birds
- Prima Resin Window
- Hymnal Pages
- Floral Sprigs